A Magical Drop of Water

Stage Settings:

A Park. Afternoon.
Rows of multi-coloured dahlia on the left (Red, yellow, orange, purple etc. Bright colours).
An empty park bench in the middle, with a tree on each of its two sides.
Green grass elsewhere.

Characters:

Poorva: A Girl,
Ishaan: A Boy,
An Old Woman: Of Course a Woman!

[Curtains Up. Enter Poorva and Ishaan. They are seen walking towards the bench. Both have a magical wand.]

Poorva: The way you put that hex on Avantika was awesome. She looked so funny with her hair all frizzy.

Ishaan: She had first tried to curse you behind your back. Then she tried to slip in a lizard in your bag. That was so not right.

Poorva: Oh! I thought you hexed her because you didn’t like her.

Ishaan: It’s true that I don’t like her. She has such a high air around her. But unlike you, I don’t go around cursing everyone I don’t like!

Poorva: What? I hex people for fun? How can you say such a thing?

Ishaan: That day in the café you gave Nishant a bleeding nose!

Poorva: That was because he took the last vanilla pastry I so much wanted. It was so mean.

Ishaan: [Chuckles] And what about Srishti in the library yesterday, the awful acne that you gave her?

Poorva: She had this week’s copy of Witch Vanity with her! I had to see the feature ‘Crelovera: More than magic for your hair

Ishaan: And still you say that, you don’t hex anyone and everyone who crosses your way!

Poorva: I never hexed you!

Ishaan: That is because I have never pulled any tricks with you. I knew you were called the ‘Hex Queen’ before I met you.

Poorva: That’s crossing the line Mister!

[Poorva pulls out her wand and throws a spell at Ishaan. A red light is seen emerging from her wand. Ishaan blocks it with his wand, which produces a green light.]

Ishaan: Is that all you can muster?

[They have reached the bench. Poorva sits.]

Poorva: That was just a tickling charm. I do not hex friends.

Ishaan: I am honoured your Majesty. [Bows]

[Poorva again tries to put a spell on Ishaan. She points her wand at him. This time a blue light emerges from her wand. Ishaan effectively blocks it, this time with an orange light form his wand.]

Ishaan: Tch, tch…. A nail growth curse. You are losing your touch!

Poorva: [Giggles] Like I said. I do not curse friends.

[Ishaan sits beside her.]

Poorva: [Continues] Wasn’t I talking about Avantika? I thought you fancied her.

Ishaan: Uh? Didn’t you just say that I did not like her?

Poorva: I was just testing then. I know you fancy her, don’t you?

Ishaan: No…no! I have already told you, I find her too high headed. What does she think of herself? And, then she doesn’t like you.

Poorva: Now what does that mean?

Ishaan: Nothing… nothing…. Umm…. just that you are my friend and she is not your friend. So, effectively she cannot be my friend.

Poorva: Yes you are my friend. My best friend……

Ishaan: [Cuts in before Poorva can finish her sentence] Poorva, I wish to tell you something.

[Ishaan conjures a bunch of flowers with his wand. Not seen by Poorva.]

Poorva: Me too. Me too. I will say first!

Ishaan: [Hides the flowers] Ok, ladies first.

Poorva: Actually, Siddharth asked me to be his date for the President’s ball tonight. Do you think I should go?

Ishaan: [Hides the flowers further] Go if you want.

Poorva: You don’t mind right?

Ishaan: No… No. Why will I mind?

Poorva: Yes, why will you mind? [Fumbles] Actually I just remembered something. I have to take back my book from Naina. I will be back in a minute.

[Poorva hurriedly walks away. Exit Poorva]

Ishaan: [To himself] Why will I mind? I am just a friend…. Best friend but still a friend. [Throws the flowers on the ground. Lowers his head and hides it in his hands.]

[Enter an old woman. She is seen carrying a handbag and knitting. She walks to the bench and sits beside Ishaan.]

Old Woman: [To Ishaan] You like her?

Ishaan: [Surprised] Like whom?

Old Woman: [Slowly] The girl… The girl who was sitting here. You love her don’t you?

Ishaan: Yes. So what? She doesn’t love me. I am just a friend for her.

Old Woman: How do you know, that she doesn’t love you? Did you ask her?

Ishaan: She is going to the President’s ball with someone else. She hates politics!

Old Woman: You are just making excuses. Have you ever told her about your feelings?

Ishaan: I was just going to, and she asks me if she should go to this ball.

Old Woman: Did you try to stop her?

Ishaan: How could I? Who am I to stop her?

Old Woman: If you are no one, then why did she ask you about the ball in the first place?

Ishaan: I don’t know. I am sure she doesn’t love me. I should just try to be friends with her.

Old Woman: How can you be so sure without asking her? You should first express your feelings to her. Here take this potion. [Pulls out a blue bottle from her bag and gives it to Ishaan.] Drink it before you tell her about your love, it will help.

[Ishaan takes the bottle and eyes it suspiciously.]

Old Woman: [Continues] I must take leave now.

[Exit Old Woman]

[Enter Poorva]

[Poorva walks towards Ishaan. Ishaan stands, waves his wand and the flowers disappear. He turns back and takes a sip from the bottle.]

[Poorva reaches the bench]

Poorva: There was an Old Lady walking away. Never seen her here before. Do you know her?

[Poorva sits]

Ishaan: Errr…. Where is your book?

Poorva: Which book?

Ishaan: Your book! You had gone to take your book from Naina!

Poorva: Oh! I couldn’t find her.

Ishaan: Is it important? You can borrow mine.

Poorva: No... No, it’s not urgent.

Ishaan: Poorva, you remember I wanted to tell you something.

Poorva: Yes.

Ishaan: I want to tell you how special you are to me. The night the poison dart hit you, was the longest night of my life. For the three hours that I waited before the Operation Theatre I thought that I had lost everything. It was then that I realised what you meant to me.

[Ishaan takes Poorva’s hand in his hands]

Ishaan: [Continues] Every morning the glimpse of your face makes my day. If I don’t see you I feel a part of mine is missing. You complete me.

[Ishaan stands]

Ishaan: [Continues] I wanted to tell this to you earlier. But, I could never gather the courage for the fear of losing you. Then I realised, that if I didn’t tell you at all, then someday I will surely lose you.

[Ishaan kneels on one foot, conjures a bunch of roses with his wand and gives it to Poorva]

Ishaan: [Continues] Poorva, I love you. I love you day and night. I love you more than anything in the world.

Ishaan: [Continues] Poorva, I don’t want to force anything on you so you can answer no. Do you love me?

Poorva: No….

[Poorva stands]

Poorva: [Continues] No….No…No…No… That’s not the answer. [Giggles] I just wanted to try saying it.

[Ishaan stands up shocked]

Poorva: [Continues] Yes…. Yes…. Yes, of course I love you. Couldn’t you say this earlier? You idiot! [Softly] Of course I love you! Of course I do!

[They embrace]

Poorva: I am so excited! I want to tell everyone! I have to tell this to Naina! Now!

Ishaan: What?

Poorva: I will meet you at the aviary in the evening.

Ishaan: Aren’t you going to the ball?

Poorva: You seriously thought that I would go?

[Poorva winks. Leaves hurriedly. Exit Poorva.]

[Ishaan jumps and conjures fireworks from his wand in excitement.]

[Enter Old Woman. She walks towards Ishaan.]

Ishaan: It worked! It worked! She loves me! She loves me!

Old Woman: What worked?

Ishaan: The potion you gave me worked. Poorva said yes!

Old Woman: That bottle? [Points at the blue bottle on the bench] It has mineral water for my troublesome stomach. [Smiles]

[Curtains down.]



****

My submission for a creative writing assignment. The original pdf submitted is attached below.

****

2 comments:

Gaurav Kumar said...

nice story. I always like love story with happy ending.but where did you find such a good piece?

Unknown said...

It was my submission for a Creative Writing Assignment.

Copyright © - Mayank Abhishek | Sweet & Pure - is proudly powered by Blogger | Template Design Credits- Design Disease