1.02 What’s in a name? - Beats

Part 1.02 of a multipart fiction about college life.

Read the other parts by going to: http://sweetnpure.blogspot.com/search/label/Beats

~~~~

The fiasco at the mess earned me an invitation to the senior’s room. Ah, this on day one?

My mind raced looking for alternatives. I could not go at all..... Would he remember me? Or, I could go just before a lecture....

But, he solved the mystery for me.... ‘Meet me tomorrow at six, before dinner!’ .... 7 magical words, my death sentence.... I nodded my head, I could barely nibble my roti. Reason: I had choked....

Back at my room, my roomie offered some advice.

‘Meet the warden’.... Tell him what? I dropped sambhar on a senior and was too dumb to apologise?
‘Use the SWD anti-ragging service’.... He hadn’t ragged me yet!!

To get my mind off I went out to meet my wingies.... They were already busy talking in a group outside....

A quick intro took place. There were six of them.....

Som, Mech.
Indu, Mech.
Sashi, Mech.
Vidhu, Mech.

What? Can this really be a coincidence..... Did the BITS guys believed in numerology or something?

Rakesh, B.Pharm.

This drove the final nail in.... it reminded me of my Hindi Classes. All names were synonyms of ‘Moon’.... ah..

There was one guy left, was he too shy? I tried to be friendly. I placed my hand on this shoulder.

‘Dude, what are you afraid of? What about you?’

‘Ravi, Bio and Pharmacy.’

Finally, a ‘sun’. Already, telling everyone B.Pharms as dual? He seemed discouraged. I felt, I should cheer him up. Others had fallen silent.

He added, ‘4th Year.’

What? Another senior? I promised myself, I would wipe out the word ‘Dude’ from my dictionary... Waiting for my predicament, I could see the silent smirks on the faces of my wingies.

I silently prayed to each and every God I could recall..... God you are not blind nor deaf nor dumb....

No, he was not. I could hear God’s voice....

He was speaking to me, ‘Warden!’

‘Yes, God but the warden in not here! Please save me!’

‘No, not the God. Idiot! The warden is coming! Run! We are out of our rooms at 10 in the night!! Run!!’

It was not God. My wingies were shouting. Someone had spotted the warden on his rounds. We ran into the closest room..... The senior disappeared into the toilet.

~~~~

In the next part, my meeting with the senior on whom I had dropped sambhar and my first taste of ‘Ragging’.



In real life:

In reality rather five of my wingies were Mechites. Two of them had names which were synonyms of ‘Sun’.

0 comments:

Copyright © - Mayank Abhishek | Sweet & Pure - is proudly powered by Blogger | Template Design Credits- Design Disease